27 students from Outwood Academy near Ripon rushed to hospital

Whilst this terrible incident is still unfolding, sources close to the scene have suggested that the sickness and fainting could possibly be carbon monoxide poisoning, and if true comes just a week before Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is potentially fatal and even very low-levels of the poison can cause lasting damage to your health; it can’t be seen, tasted or smelt, but CO can kill quickly without warning.

The symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the ones experienced by the students at the North Yorkshire school – Headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness and fatigue to name just a few.

It is such a widespread problem that in October this year it became a legal requirement in the UK for landlords to install carbon monoxide alarms (and working smoke alarms) in their properties.

We sincerely wish the students and staff at Outwood Academy all the very best, and remind everyone to be vigilant for this silent killer and get a carbon monoxide alarm if you haven’t already.

More information on carbon monoxide and Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week can be found at the CO Awareness website – http://covictim.org/

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment