A woman in her sixties was awarded over £8000.00 when she was hurt in a fall in a public place; the accident was caused by another person’s negligence so she discussed her options for compensation with Michael Lewin Solicitors? personal injury team in the UK.

Mrs S from Barry in South Wales injured her arm when she tripped and fell striking her arm on the bar. She was 67 years old when the accident happened.

Slips and trips either at work or in a public place sadly account for so many claims each year. Painful injuries like Mrs S’s can be so easily avoided and there is every reason why a victim should claim compensation for their ordeal.

There are basic rules which must be followed to reduce the risk of slips either at work or in a public place. Failure to follow these rules can lead to liability for an accident and injury to another person. Basic housekeeping rules are vital; keep water and contaminants away from walkways and if they do spill they should be cleaned up immediately. Any employees such as cleaners who are exposed to wet floors should be provided with suitable footwear. Particular care and attention should be taken during the colder months when rain ice and snow increase the risk of wet floors.

In the past figures have shown that slip trip and fall incidents in the workplace have cost 40 workers their lives in one year. Also in a year over 15000 major injuries to workers have been caused by slips trips and falls and over 30000 workers have taken more than three days off work. It is estimated that the cost to society each year for slips trips and falls is around £800 million. Health and Safety Executive figures show that slips and trips are the most common cause of major injuries in the work place in Great Britain. Most workplace deaths are caused by falls from height.

Mrs S’s accident was not her fault which qualified her to pursue a claim for compensation with Michael Lewin Solicitors in the UK. Every occupier of land or buildings has a duty of care to the general public who visit them. It can be a home shop office train bus park or factory.

Public liability is when someone hurts themselves because a third party has neglected this duty. If you can show that the third party which is the person or organization responsible for maintaining the property or outside space has been negligent you can make a public liability claim.

You may even be able to claim if you had an accident in a private home if the householder or landlord was responsible for your accident e.g. badly-lit steps or falling roof tile.

Michael Lewin work very hard to negotiate the maximum compensation for their clients? injuries taking into account any loss of earnings and restrictions to their normal daily lives which are a direct result of the accident. Mrs S was awarded £8125.60 when her case was concluded.

If you have been injured in an accident that was not your fault and you want to make a compensation claim talk to Michael Lewin Solicitors in the UK on: 0844 499 9302.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment