It was just before Christmas when Mr M was injured in an accident in the work place through no fault of his own; lawyers at Michael Lewin in the UK advised him that he had a genuine claim for compensation and accepted his case on a no win no fee basis.

An employer can only escape liability for an accident that occurs in the work place if they can prove without doubt that they have exercised reasonable care. The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 applies to both employers and employees. You are entitled to claim compensation if you can prove that you were not to blame for your accident. Fault could lie with your employer or a colleague. It could even be the fault of another company which is based at your work place.

As long as there is evidence that a third party has been negligent you can make a claim Examples of accidents at work which may result in injuries are:
? Unsuitable or damaged equipment
? An unsafe system of work
? Unsafe working practices
? Contact with dangerous materials
? Poor health and safety

In this case Mr M from Yarmouth was injured at work by defective equipment. This is unfortunately quite a common cause of accidents. The employer will have to show that regular inspections of the equipment have been carried out. He will also have to show service records and proof of any defects that may have been reported.

Mr B from Reigate in Kent another of Michael Lewin’s clients was awarded ?2500.00 when he was injured by defective work equipment. If you have sustained any injuries as a result of an accident in the work place you can discuss details of your case with qualified lawyers at Michael Lewin in the UK who will handle your case professionally and sympathetically.

Mr M was 34 years old when he had his accident. Michael Lewin have supported him tirelessly throughout his claim trying to negotiate the maximum compensation on his behalf.

In some smaller businesses it will be the owner who will take on the responsibility for the health and safety of his employees. In larger organisations there are usually human resources personnel or other senior members of staff dealing with health and safety issues as their full time role. This person should be legally competent to deal with accidents which occur at their place of work. They should also be responsible for conducting regular risk assessments which indentifies the health and safety risks of each employee in the workplace.

The outcome of the risk assessment may vary according to the size of an organisation. If it has five or more employees a competent person has to keep a record of the assessment’s results.

If you have been the victim of an accident in the work place and are looking for legal advice from qualified lawyers you can speak to the personal injury team at Michael Lewin Solicitors in the UK on: 0844 499 9302.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment