Can I make a claim for criminal injury after being attacked abroad?

Pont Alexandre III bridge and invalides i

In recent news four American woman in their early 20’s were sprayed with acid at the Marseille-Saint Charles train station in France. The attacker was a 41 year old woman who has been arrested in connection with the attack. The Rising number of acid attack victims has almost doubled in the last 10 years. These attacks are now becoming more widespread and are escalating across Europe.

Although the victims would not be eligible Under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) scheme, there are certain criteria’s which could mean that a foreign attack/assault victim could still be able to claim for the incident even if the attack did not take place in the UK.

The CICA cover a wide range of violent crimes. The types of crimes they cover are;

  • Acid attacks
  • Terrorist attacks
  • Human trafficking offences
  • Attacks on Armed forces
  • Holiday makes who have suffered an attack/assault.

The UK Government advise that the rules for claiming against violent crimes abroad vary, depending on whether the assault took place in an EU country or outside of the EU. Below is a list prepared by the CICA of the criteria for a foreign attack/assault:

A person is eligible for an award under this Scheme only if:

  • That person was ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom on the date of the incident giving rise to the criminal injury
  • A British citizen
  • Made an application for asylum under immigration Rule.

These points noted by the CICA scheme show that even if you were attacked abroad but had residency within the UK, you could still be eligible to claim for compensation as long as you meet the initial criteria for a CICA claim.

Being attacked/assaulted whilst abroad can in some cases lead to serious life changing injuries. Compensation for these injuries can help rebuild your life and cover costs such as medical bills or any other losses that you have incurred with a main focus being on the inability to get back into work after the incident.

Time limits on claiming for attacks abroad

In order to claim for compensation as a result of an attack/assault abroad, you must make the claim within 2 years from the date of the assault otherwise you would be deemed out of time to claim.

If you have been attacked abroad and are a UK resident, seek advice from our lawyers who specialise in dealing with CICA claims.

Quick Enquiry

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message

Article Written By

jessica grainger RTA paralegal

Jessica Grainger


Call 0113 200 9787 to speak to one of our criminal injuries team.


Simply complete this short form and one of our criminal injury experts will be in touch soon.

Your confidentiality is always assured and we aim to provide excellence in our client care.


See what our customers think of us…

find out more


See staff from this department

find out more


Take advantage of our Easter offer and receive a 20% discount on all LPA's when you book an appointment between 26th-29th March

Limited appointments available

Please call 0113 200 9720 to book
... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook