Domestic Abuse Victim Wants the CICA Compensation Scheme to Change

Christine Wheldon who received a compensation payout of £22000 for domestic abuse wants the Government to rethink their criminal injury compensation policy after she discovered that the parents of murdered five-year-old April Jones are only expected to receive less than half of that amount.

Ms Wheldon told The Northern Echo that despite the physical and mental scars she received from the treatment of ex-husband she was appalled that April Jones’ parents Coral and Paul Jones will be offered £5500 each maximum as compensation.
53-year-old Christine waived her right to anonymity after she endured what judge described as a ‘humiliating and degrading act’ at her home in Nortallerton North Yorkshire.
Ms Wheldon told the Northern Echo that she felt that the Ministry of Justice’s Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) should rethink its sliding scale of compensation that it offers to 30000 victims of violent crime annually.
She went on to say that she believes that the parents of murdered children should be given the highest payouts.
“I burst into tears when I found out April’s parents would not even be receiving as much as I did.
“I can’t change what has happened to me but the money I have received will help me to change my future.
“If I had won it on the lottery I would be sitting with a friends having a drink but I can’t celebrate being given my money it doesn’t take away the pain and I still suffer from flashbacks.
“No amount of money will bring April back to her parents however I think it’s shocking and deplorable that they can offer a maximum of £11000 to the parents of a murdered child.
“I think these people need to be treated with a bit more respect where this compensation is an insult.”
A CICA spokesperson said: “We decide cases based on the rules Parliament set in the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.
“To ensure our application of the scheme is as robust as possible there are safeguards built in.
“In any applicant does not think their case was assessed fairly they may apply to have it reviewed. If they remain unhappy after the review they can appeal to an independent tribunal.”
Read the original story from The Northern Echo here


Recent Posts

Leave a Comment