Road Traffic Accidents – common questions

How soon after an accident should I talk to a solicitor?

The sooner the better. A Solicitor may be able to assist you with things like vehicle repairs and early medical treatment.

How much compensation am I likely to receive after my road traffic accident?

This will depend on a number of factors, primarily the injuries you have sustained and how long they last. You should speak to a Solicitor for an accurate valuation of your claim.

How long will my claim take?

This will depend on a number of factors, including whether liability is admitted and the nature of your injuries.

We advise our clients that the average personal injury claim takes around 12 months to settle, but some claims will settle as quickly as 3 months.

I was a passenger in a car. Can I still claim?

Absolutely, it is often easier to claim if you were a passenger in the vehicle as there are usually two possible Insurers to deal with your claim.

I wasn’t wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident. Does that mean I cannot make a claim?

No, you are still able to submit a claim. Your compensation may be reduced by 25% if it is thought that you should have been wearing a seatbelt at the time.

What if the other vehicle involved was a motorcycle?

You will still be able to claim in the same way as if the third party vehicle was a car.

I was speeding at the time of the accident. Does that mean I cannot make a claim?

No, speed in itself does not show that you were responsible for the accident. It is best to speak to a Solicitor about the detailed accident circumstances.

I think the road traffic accident might have been my fault. Does that mean I cannot seek compensation?

It is definitely worth making enquiries as your Solicitor may be able to establish that you were only partly at fault. This means you could still receive some compensation.

What happens if the other driver did not have insurance?

We can still submit a claim on your behalf to the Motor Insurance Bureau. This is a Government-funded Company set up purely to compensate those that are involved in an accident with an Uninsured or Untraced Driver.

What happens if the other driver didn’t stop after the accident?

This will not necessarily impact your claim. It is important to try to obtain the vehicle registration even if the other party drive away. This will enable us to identify the relevant Insurers to submit your claim to.

How soon after an accident should I contact a law firm to seek compensation?

As soon as possible. You have three years to bring a claim following an accident; however the sooner you contact a Solicitor, the better.

My insurance company has recommended a law firm. I’d like to choose my own firm, can I do that?

Yes, you have no obligation to claim through a recommended law firm.

Do I need to go to court in order to receive compensation?

This is highly unlikely. Most claims settle without the need to attend Court. If you claim is of a particularly complex nature, you may need to attend Court but this is the absolute last resort.

Why should I choose Michael Lewin Solicitors for my compensation claim?

As a firm, we have an extremely high success rate in Road Traffic Accidents. Our friendly team always ensure that you are updated on the progress of your claim and are happy to answer any questions you may have along the way. We work strictly on a no-win, no-fee basis so you won’t be out of pocket by claiming through us. Take a look at our client reviews –

What exactly can I claim for?

Here’s just some of the heads of loss we can recover for you:
• Injury;
• Vehicle damage;
• Expenses and losses you may have incurred (i.e. travel expenses, medication, excess);
• Treatment;
• Loss of earnings (both past and present);
• Hire and storage;
• Care and assistance;

Is there any such thing as a car crash where no one is at fault?

It is possible that the claim may settle on a 50/50 basis if neither party feel they were responsible for the accident. This means you will receive 50% of the total value of your claim.

Is an accident caused by a commercial vehicle any different from ordinary car crashes?

No, the vehicle will still be insured and the claim will be submitted to the relevant Insurer. Even if the third party vehicle was a foreign vehicle, we are able to identify the UK Handling Agents and submit your claim to them.


Simply complete this short form and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Your confidentiality is always assured and we aim to provide excellence in our client care.


See what our customers think of us…

find out more


See staff from this department

find out more


Take advantage of our Easter offer and receive a 20% discount on all LPA's when you book an appointment between 26th-29th March

Limited appointments available

Please call 0113 200 9720 to book
... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook