Homemade Wills – Good Value Or Costly In The Long Run?
The DIY Will packs seem like a good idea. They are cheap and have instructions to follow. Once completed you put it away as you have finalised your will!
At the date of your death, this is where the problems may occur…….
- Has your Will been signed?
- Has your Will been dated?
- Has your Will been witnessed correctly?
- Has your Will excluded any important beneficiaries?
Any of these issues may arise with a homemade Will. They can cause unnecessary delays in the administration of your estate and can cause undue distress and expense to your family or the intended beneficiaries.
Ultimately, making a Will yourself does not always become the cheaper option.
To prevent any costly and distressing surprises it is beneficial to think about having your Will prepared by a solicitor.
A solicitor will:
- advise you on the content of your Will
- provide suggestions with regard to the division of your estate
- offer Inheritance Tax advice if appropriate
- supervise the “Execution” of your Will ensuring that the formalities are correctly followed
- provide you with a VALID Will
- give peace of mind for your future beneficiaries
A Will prepared by a solicitor will obviously incur a charge and their fees will vary from firm to firm. It is worth checking whether your local solicitor participates in any charity free Will month scheme or discounted Will making schemes. If you make your Will under one of these schemes you will have a Will prepared by a solicitor for FREE or a reduced fee in return for a donation being made to a nominated charity.
Michael Lewin Solicitors participate in various schemes throughout the year so the benefit is that you will receive a professionally made Will in return for a donation to charity. You can email your enquiries to us at email@example.com
If you have a homemade Will we are not in any way saying that it is not a valid Will but, Michael Lewin Solicitors offer a FREE ½ hour review of your homemade Will to check it meets with your wishes and that the formalities have been followed.
WHAT TO DO NEXT:
Meet The Head Of Department
Call 0113 200 9787 to speak to one of our solicitors.