Mr W made an industrial accidents compensation claim with the help of Michael Lewin Solicitors in Leeds. Mr W was seriously injured in an accident at work at the age of 52.

Mr W is an HGV driver. The lorry that Mr W was driving had been provided by his employer. The trailer that Mr W had been provided with was poorly maintained and defective. The tail lift (the platform used to move goods from the wagon to the ground or from the ground into the wagon) would not work. As Mr W was trying to get the tail lift to work it suddenly sprang back and collided with his hand.

Your employer has got to provide you with a safe and secure working environment. Under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 your employer has a responsibility to keep you safe in the workplace. The Health and Safety Act of 1974 is the primary piece of legislation that covers work related health and safety issues in the UK. It states your employer’s responsibilities for your health and safety at work. A health and safety executive should be appointment within the business to oversee and manage all health and safety matters. Any safety issues should be reported immediately to the health and safety executive.

Mr W was entitled to make an industrial accidents compensation claim as the accident was not his fault; the solicitors at Michael Lewin in Leeds were there for Mr W in every step of making his claim.

As a result of his employer providing him with faulty equipment Mr W suffered some very nasty and potentially life threatening injuries. Mr W suffered debridement of his left index finger; this is where some of the flesh is cut away in order for the wound to be able to heal. As if that was not enough suffering Mr W got an infection in the wound and suffered a secondary blood infection.

Employees are also responsible for their own health and safety in the workplace. You do have the right to refuse to do a job if you believe it is not safe or if you have not been provided with the correct equipment to do the job. Your employer cannot dismiss you or threaten to dismiss you if you refuse to work for genuine health and safety concerns for yourself or your colleagues. If you have any concerns about health and safety at work you should always talk to your employer first; they may simply be unaware of any problems. If your employer does not listen to your concerns and act upon them as a final resort you may have to report them to the local authority’s environmental health department.

Thanks to the expert help he received Mr W was successfully able to make an industrial accidents compensation claim; Michael Lewin Solicitors in Leeds were very pleased to have been able to help.

If you want to make a claim after an accident call us today on: 0844 499 9302.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment