criminal injury claim solicitors

Have you or someone you know been a victim of a violent crime?

We understand that making a criminal injury compensation claim after being a victim of a violent crime can be a very daunting and sensitive process. But if you, a family member or a friend have suffered the trauma of being a victim of violent crime, you could be entitled to compensation.

Michael Lewin Solicitors have over 15 years of experience dealing with CICA claims. We have helped thousands of people over the years to secure the compensation that they deserve. We operate throughout England and Wales; offering our specialist legal services.

If you would like to make a Criminal Injury claim, call us now on 0113 200 9787 or email Rest assured, your case will be in good hands.

 See If You Have A CICA Claim In 30 Seconds

Quick Facts:

  • No Win, No Fee Available
  • You have 2 years to make a claim
  • Dedicated and highly skilled Criminal Injuries team
  • Claim even if guilty party is not caught
  • Free initial assessment
  • High success rate for clients
  • National coverage


What Is A Criminal Injury Claim?

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is a government organisation that can pay money to people who have been physically or mentally injured as a result of them being the blameless victim of a violent crime.

The Scheme is for people injured in England, Wales and Scotland.

Examples of attacks where you may be eligible to claim an award include:

  • Assault (physical or sexual);
  • Wounding;
  • Injury as a direct result of arson;
  • A deliberate attempt to poison you;
  • Where an animal was deliberately set on you with the intent of causing injury;
  • Where someone deliberately ran you down with a vehicle.

What We Do At Michael Lewin Solicitors

Michael Lewin Solicitors are specialists in personal injury claims for innocent victims of violent crime.

We have helped thousands of people over the years to secure the compensation that they deserve.

If you have been injured either physically and/or mentally as a result of a violent crime we will pursue your right for compensation via the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

Awards range from £1,000 up to £500,000.

Our promise to you is to get you the criminal injury compensation you deserve as quickly as possible.

Since we operate on a No-Win-No-Fee basis, you have nothing to lose and potentially everything to gain.

You can claim even if the guilty person was not caught, or the person committing the assault was not actually prosecuted by the police!

We can help with claims involving sexual abuse and also deal with cases from Military personnel who are injured as a result of a crime whilst stationed overseas.

If you would like to pursue a claim with us, please email us on or alternatively, call us on 0113 200 9787.

Our Criminal Injuries Claims Process

The CICA is a government body dedicated to provide compensation to blameless victims who have suffered injuries (physical or mental) as a result of an attack.

Michael Lewin Solicitor will also help you if the perpetrator of the attack was never caught, identified or convicted.

We have helped many clients to claim compensation after a range of attacked/incidents, including:

  • Arson
  • Physical Assaults
  • Sexual Abuse
  • Hit and run incidents
  • Threats of Violence

Our team of Criminal Injury expert lawyers will work with you and the CICA to ensure that you receive the best possible compensation settlement.

If you need us to, we can also advise you on what state benefits and other additional funding you could receive due to your injuries, your inability to work and any immediate or future care you might need.

We will discuss all of your options with you, which may also include any civil action you could take.

Get in touch with us today to start your discussion with us.

More Information

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) was set up by the government in 1964 to compensate innocent victims of violent crime.

Michael Lewin promise to quickly, efficiently and compassionately deal with your claim and help you obtain the maximum compensation possible.

If you think you might have a compensation claim, but you’re not too sure, or just not sure what you should do next, then get in touch with us. We can help you make sense of the whole situation you are in and suggest the best way forward for you – free of charge.

Make A CICA Claim

If you have been injured as a result of a violent crime, our legal experts will be able to advise you within a matter of minutes if you have the right to compensation.

Your injuries need to be serious enough to qualify for the lowest (minimum) award the CICA can pay under the Scheme.

The minimum award is £1,000. If your injury is not serious enough to qualify for a £1,000 payment they will not be able to make an award.

Other reasons the CICA may refuse to pay you compensation are: –

  • You willingly took part in a fight.
  • You were acting in an aggressive or threatening way and provoked the incident.
  • There was a history of assaults or fighting between you and the person who injured you.
  • You did not report the incident to the police/and or fail to co-operate
  • You were injured as a result of challenging someone over a previous incident.
  • You were taking part in illegal activities when you were injured.
  • You did not take reasonable steps to get out of a situation where it was likely you might get hurt.
  • In general, the Scheme does not allow any person who causes an injury to benefit from an award paid to the victim.
  • The CICA will not pay an award if there is a continuing close link between you (the victim) and the offender and it is likely that the offender would benefit from your award.
  • The CICA may reduce or refuse an award if you have a criminal record. In deciding how much of a reduction they make, they will look at the length of any criminal record and the time that has passed since the last offence.
    However, the CICA are likely to completely refuse an award, or make a very substantial reduction, if you have a conviction for a serious crime.

If you were not physically injured the CICA will not consider making an award for mental injury or disease alone, unless:

  • You were put in reasonable fear of immediate physical harm; or
    ou witnessed or were present when someone, with whom you had a close relationship of love and affection (including someone you are not related to), was injured (including fatal injury), or you were closely involved in the immediate aftermath (events that happened straight after the incident); or
  • You were the non-consenting victim of a sexual offence; or
  • You were a railway employee and you witnessed and were present when a person was injured (or killed) while they were trespassing on the railway, or you were involved in the immediate aftermath of such an incident.

We have many years of criminal injury experience, having successfully recovered thousands of pounds in compensation for our clients.

We have helped a wide variety of people injured in many different areas of employment obtain as much money as possible for more than a decade.

This wealth of knowledge and experience combined with our unrivalled level of determination to get you what is rightfully yours sets us apart from the rest.

We offer the very highest standard of customer care, whilst being warm, friendly and courteous, and ensure that every step of the claim process is as clear and straightforward as possible.

Criminal Injury FAQ's

How long will it take to receive my compensation?

This does vary very much depending on the circumstances, but typically between three and twelve months.

The CICA will approach the police for a copy of the report and liaise with your practitioners to obtain information regarding the injuries that you sustained.

We will of course look to process the claim as quickly as possible in order to achieve a successful outcome.

Can I still claim compensation if my injury was some time ago?

The injury must have occurred within the last two years.

The CICA may reconsider this time limit providing the circumstances of your injury meant that they could not reasonably have expected you to apply within the two-year time limit; and it is still possible to investigate your claim.

What exactly can I claim for?

You are entitled to make a claim for your injury, loss of earnings, subject to you envisaging an absence of 28 weeks or over, and other special expenses such as treatment, property and physical aids damaged in the incident and dental/optical expenses.

The CICA cannot however meet these costs if they can be met by the NHS.

Meet The Criminal Injury Team

  • Tiffany Whitwam Trainee Solicitor

    Department: Commercial Property

  • Rob Crompton Head of RTA Department

    Department: Road Traffic Accidents & Criminal Injury

  • Paul McMullan Deputy Head of RTA Department

    Department: Road Traffic Accidents, Product Liability and Flight Delay.

  • Emma Davison Road Traffic Accidents Department Manager

    Department: Road Traffic Accidents

Latest Blog Posts From The Team


Simply complete this short form and one of our criminal injury experts will be in touch soon.

Was the Incident in the past two years? *
 Yes No

Did you receive medical treatment or visit your GP/hospital? *
 Yes No

Did you notify the police about the incident? *
 Yes No

Your confidentiality is always assured and we aim to provide excellence in our client care.


See what our customers think of us…

find out more


See staff from this department

find out more


It's a fantastic evening to be invited to see Castleford Tigers play on home turf! #ctrlfc #CastlefordTigers #Tigers #GoTeam ... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook