Housing disrepair claims

As a tenant, whether Private or through a Council or Housing Association, your Landlord has a duty to ensure that your property is maintained to an acceptable standard. Although most Tenants enjoy a good relationship with their Landlord, there are occasions when elements of disrepair are either not dealt with adequately or in some cases at all.

Michael Lewin Solicitors has a dedicated Housing Disrepair team that can assist a Tenant with claims for Housing Disrepair from all areas throughout England and Wales. We specialise in acting for Claimants on a No Win, No Fee basis.

How can we assist?

Our priority is to ensure that steps are taken by your Landlord or the Council to remedy the disrepair to your property, and to return your home to a safe and habitable condition.

We understand that often, the condition of a property is such that it causes inconvenience, anxiety and distress. In some cases, Housing Disrepair can cause or exacerbate underlying health conditions such as asthma and other breathing problems. In addition to ensuring that the property undergoes the necessary repair work, we can also assist in claiming compensation to reflect the period of nuisance and inconvenience experienced. Where it can be proven that living conditions have caused or contributed to health issues, we can assist in claiming personal injury compensation for this also.

Common disrepair problems we can assist Claimant’s with include: –

  • Damp & Mould
  • Water leaks
  • Dilapidated brickwork / plaster
  • Drain and sewage problems
  • Vermin infestation
  • Prolonged exposure to asbestos or carbon monoxide
  • Electrical and gas safety issues
  • Faulty Sanitary installations
  • Boiler and hot water / heating issues

Once instructed, we take immediate steps to make contact with your Landlord and will proceed to arrange an inspection of the property by an independent recognised firm of Surveyors. The Surveyor will assess the extent of disrepair to the property and produce a report detailing the repairs necessary.

How Much Can I Claim?

This will usually depend on the duration of the problems experienced, the extent of the Housing Disrepair and the amount of rent paid. Damages for nuisance and inconvenience will often be calculated as a percentage of the rent according to the number of rooms affected.

If personal possessions have been damaged as a result of the Housing Disrepair, claims can be made for these in addition, subject to evidence of the damage.

If you have previously complained to your Landlord / Council / Housing Association with regard to issues with your property and you feel that they have failed to deal with the problem, call us now for a free, no obligation discussion to see whether you may be entitled to claim for compensation


Quick Enquiry

Was the complaint to your landlord, done so within the last 6 years, with no subsequent response or action taken within 6 months?

Yes No 

Are you up to date with your rent payments?

Yes No 

Meet The Head Of Department

RTA paralegal

Colin Howard

RTA & Housing Paralegal

Call 0113 200 9787 to speak to one of our solicitors.

What To Do Next:

For a FREE initial consultation, call the Housing Disrepair Team on 0113 200 9720  or contact us online here to discuss how we can help you.


Simply complete this short form and one of our medical negligence experts will be in touch soon.

Have you suffered from clinical negligence, or
have you become aware that you were the victim of
clinical negligence within the last 3 years? *
 Yes No

Who do you allege has treated your negligently? *
 GP Surgery NHS Hospital Private Hospital Other Medical Professional

Your confidentiality is always assured and we aim to provide excellence in our client care.


See what our customers think of us…

find out more


See staff from this department

find out more


Take advantage of our Easter offer and receive a 20% discount on all LPA's when you book an appointment between 26th-29th March

Limited appointments available

Please call 0113 200 9720 to book
... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook