Accident at work solicitors

Our workplaces should be safe places to go about our daily tasks, but accidents do unfortunately happen from time to time, thousands of workers are injured in an accident during work; when accidents do happen it is usually the employer that is at fault.

Our team of personal injury experts will provide you with free initial advice on your work accident compensation claim and with our No Win No Fee agreements there’s no financial risk to you if you’re unsuccessful in it.

If you would like to make a claim, call us now on 0113 200 9787 or email

We operate from offices in Leeds, but help claimants in all of England and Wales. Rest assured, your case will be in good hands.

 Make An Accident At Work Claim Today


  • No Win, No Fee on all claims
  • Dedicated and highly skilled Personal Injury Lawyers
  • You have three years to make a claim
  • Free initial advice from a qualified solicitor
  • Pursue any genuine claim at no cost
  • High success rate for clients
  • Awards range from £1,000 up to £1,000,000

Michael Lewin Solicitors are a law firm that specialise in accidents occurring at work. If you have been involved in an accident at work which was not your fault, we are able to offer a no obligation assessment for advice about your personal injury claim.

Accident At Work Claims

It can happen at any place, any time. It can take any shape or form. It is not something you can ever prepare for. In 2014/2015, there were 611,000 non-fatal injuries at work reported to the HSE.

Our expert personal injury lawyers will provide free initial advice and consultation on you compensation claim, then with our No Win, No Fee guarantee we will work hard to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.

Who is responsible for your safety?

Under the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) all employers have a legal duty to ensure they have taken steps to ensure that their employees are reasonably safe and protected from being involved in accidents occurring at work.

Meet The Head Of Department

Emma Bell Head of EL and PL department
Emma Bell
Head Of EL/PL

Call 0113 200 9787 to speak to one of our personal injury solicitors

Who can make an accident claim?

Any person who has been involved in an workplace accident which is not their fault is eligible to claim, whether it appears major or minor. There is no minimum duration of employment for you to claim. You may have valid grounds for an accident at work claim if the cause of your accident is:

  • Lifting or carrying heavy items without the right equipment or training
  • Slip, trip or fall
  • Falling/protruding object you were unaware of
  • Actions or negligence of your colleagues
  • Working at height without the correct equipment
  • Dangerous practices and procedures in the workplace
  • Defective or poorly maintained equipment
  • Dangerous machinery being used

The criteria for an accident in the workplace compensation claim

For a successful personal injury claim against your employers, it must be shown that:

  • Your employers did or failed to do something which caused your accident (breached their duty of care)
  • The injuries sustained by you was as a direct result of the breach of your employers (causation)

There is a standard time limit within which you are able to file an accident at work. Legal proceedings must be initiated within 3 years from the date of your accident. Failure to do this may result in your claim being time-barred and you may not be able to make a claim for compensation.

What you should do

If you have unfortunately been injured at work, you should:

  • Immediately report it to your workplace and record it in an accident book. If there is no accident book, you should write out details of the accident circumstances and injuries sustained and inform your employer.
  • Seek medical attention by a First Aider or go to see a medical practitioner as soon as possible. You should ensure you tell them how the injury was sustained, i.e. it was an accident at work.

How much compensation will I receive for an accident at work ?

Each case is valued individually at Michael Lewin Solicitors, to ensure that the most reasonable and deserved compensation is awarded to our clients. Although all cases vary, below are examples of what you can receive for some work accident injuries:

Type of injury Amount of compensation
Fracture to one finger Up to £3,500
Soft tissue injuries to your neck Up to £3,200
Laceration and scarring to your knee Up to £4,300
A single scar to either the leg, arm, hand Up to £5,600
Serious toe injuries with permanent disability Up to £10,100
Injuries to the elbow with recovery within 18-24 months Up to £5,060
Fracture to the ankle with surgery and disability, risk of osteoarthritis Up to £19,550

Please note that the above is just a guideline, each injury at work varies and the exact amount is calculated once a medical expert is seen and he provides you with a clear, concise prognosis.

If you have unfortunately been involved in an workplace accident please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or would like to speak to a member of our team.

Accident At Work FAQ’s

Case Study: Accident at Work

On 9th January 2014, Mr D was involved in an accident at work. He was attempting to climb down from the side of a lorry, when he suddenly fell to the ground due to there being no steps attached/ provided to safely disembark from the vehicle. As a result, Mr D unfortunately sustained a permanent injury to his leg and required to attend hospital and seek treatment to assist with his symptoms on numerous occasions.

The claim was submitted to his employer with the arguments that they were negligent and/or had failed to comply with the Work Place (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regulations 1992 (the Workplace Regulations), Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (the Work Equipment Regulations), and The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (The Management Regulations). The regulations are in place and are meant to be complied with in order to protect employees from being involved in such accidents.

The representatives for Mr D’s employer eventually admitted liability after investigating the circumstances around the accident and the safety procedures in place at the time. Following the admission, a medical examination was arranged in order to obtain a diagnosis and prognosis for the injuries sustained.

Whilst this was being done, the 3 year limitation period allowed for claims such as these arose. In order to prevent it from becoming ‘statute barred’, the claim was protectively issued with the Court.

Once Mr D’s medical evidence and schedule of losses and expenses was complete, negotiations commenced with his employer’s representatives. Eventually, we were able to negotiate a settlement figure of £27,500.00 for him.

Mr D – “I was really happy with the settlement I received.”

Accident At Work FAQ’s

What will I receive?

If you have a claim for Work Related Injury, you will receive 70% of the compensation we obtain on your behalf.

Why Michael Lewin Solicitors?

We have many years of personal injury experience, having successfully recovered millions of pounds in compensation for our clients.
We have helped a wide variety of people injured in many different areas of employment obtain as much money as possible for more than a decade.

This wealth of knowledge and experience combined with our unrivalled level of determination to get you what is rightfully yours sets us apart from the rest.

We offer the very highest standard of customer care, whilst being warm, friendly and courteous, and ensure that every step of the claim process is as clear and straightforward as possible.

How do I know if I have a claim for compensation?

If you believe you may be suffering from a work related illness/industrial disease and believe that has been caused by the negligence of a former employer or a combination of employers, call us on 0113 200 9787 or email us at

Our friendly team of legal advisors will be able to tell you within a matter of minutes if you have the right to compensation.

How long will it take to receive my compensation?

This does vary very much depending on the circumstances, but typically between 12 and 24 months.

Can I still claim if my accident was some time ago?

If you are 18 years old or over, you are entitled to make a claim provided you do so within 3 years of the date of the accident. If you are under the age of 18 you must start your claim before the age of 21.

Can I sue an employer even if I no longer work there?

Yes. As long as you were employed by the Defendant at the time of the incident you are entitled to make a claim even if you have subsequently left the Company.

Can I sue my employer if I did not have a formal contract of employment?

Although you may be able to sue your employers for negligence, you will be unable to bring a statutory claim under the Employment Regulations given you will not be deemed an employee within the meaning of those Regulations.
It is therefore important that the status of your employment position is confirmed prior to commencing a claim.

Will I need to meet you face to face?

Although you are more than welcome to do so, we usually correspond with our clients by telephone and post.

Only in very exceptional circumstances will it be necessary for you to come in to our offices.

Our experts will handle every aspect of your claim and keep you updated on a regular basis.

If I sue my employers will it have an effect on my employment position?

Pursuing a claim against your employers should not affect your employment position. In the event you encounter any difficulties with your employer following the start of a claim, we will refer you to our employment department who will be able to help and advise.

Can I sue more than 1 Defendant at the same time?

Yes. It may be the case that as a consequence of pursuing a claim against your employer it will be necessary to also start a claim against various contractors and suppliers who had involvement in the incident.

An action against all potential defendants will be brought within the same set of proceedings.

Can I sue my employers if I have not informed them of the accident?

Yes, although a failure to notify your employers of the incident as soon as practically possible could have an adverse effect on your prospects of success.

It is therefore important that any accident at work is reported to management as soon as possible with a formal request that the matter is placed in the Accident Book and is endorsed by your signature to confirm its accuracy.

Can I sue my employer if I have not sought any medical attention following my accident?

Yes, although a failure to seek medical attention may adversely affect your claim. If a full recovery is made before a medical examination is arranged for the purposes of the claim, it may be difficult to establish the extent of your injury or even if you were injured at all.

It is therefore important that you visit your GP following any accident to ensure that the nature and extent of the injury is recorded before a claim is commenced.

Can I sue my employers for the negligent actions of a co-worker?

Yes. Your employers will be deemed vicariously liable for the negligent actions of your colleagues should it be proven that during the course of your employment such negligent actions resulted in your injury.

The claim would then be brought against your employer and not the individual who caused your injury.

Can I sue my employer if they have gone into administration?

Yes, although it will be necessary to seek confirmation that your employers had the requisite insurance cover in place at the time of your accident.

In the event your employers did not have the appropriate employer’s liability insurance when the incident occurred, it will be difficult to enforce any claim against a Company that is no longer trading.

Will I have to fill in lots of paperwork?

Certainly not! We will do most of the paperwork for you, and explain every step of the process in a friendly and easy way to understand.

Will I have to go to Court?

It is very unlikely that you will have to go to Court. Most cases are settled via telephone or written negotiation.

We will do everything we can to avoid unnecessary court appearances.

Will I have to have a medical examination?

Yes. It is necessary to obtain a medical report so that your solicitor can place an accurate value on your injuries.

Your medical appointment will be at a convenient time and place close to where you live.

What exactly can I claim for?

You are entitled to make a claim for your personal injury, any loss of earnings, travel and medical expenses, any care required, and any other out of pocket expenses.

Can I get an interim compensation payment?

Yes. In some circumstances we may help you apply for an interim payment to assist you with any immediate financial issues you may face.

This could provide you with funding for treatment or home improvements such as wheel chair access and support handles.

Are you able to arrange my treatment?

Yes. We work with a number of rehabilitation providers who are able to assess your needs and arrange the appropriate course of treatment.

These charges will be claimed from your employer’s insurance company, meaning that you are not out of pocket.

What should I do to start my claim?

It’s easy! Call us now on 0113 200 9787 or email us at or text us on INFO HC to 80010 and one of our legal experts will call you back with an instant decision on whether you have a claim.

How will my claim be funded?

Your claim is likely to be run under a Conditional Fee Agreement.

This is often referred to as a No Win No Fee agreement. This means win or lose you pay nothing.

Case Study: Accident at Work

Mr G suffered an accident at work upon 15th March 2015, whilst he was working the night shift. He was expected to work alone and move boxes of goods, which were not labelled with the weight. Mr G picked up a box which was found to be 10kg over the HSE guidelines for a male to be lifting alone.

Mr G suffered a back injury which required him to take 6 weeks off work, attend physiotherapy and he continued to suffer from pain for 18 months from the accident.

The claim was submitted to his employer with arguments that they had failed to comply with the Manual Handling Regulations and ensure that he would be safe at work. These regulations are in place to protect people from accidents such as these.

Soon afterwards, his employer admitted fault for the accident.

During the process, Mr G had financial difficulties due to being off for a significant time period, and we negotiated an early interim payment of £1,000.00.

In total Mr G’s case settled for over £6,000.00.

Mr G – “I was really happy with the service provided and the support along with way, including interim payments.”


Meet The Personal Injury Team

Latest Blog Post Articles


Simply complete this short form and one of our personal injury experts will be in touch soon.

Was the accident in the past three years? *
 Yes No

Did you receive medical treatment or visit your GP/hospital? *
 Yes No

Was the accident your fault? *
 Yes No

Have you claimed before? *
 Yes No

Have you reported the accident?*
 Yes No

Your confidentiality is always assured and we aim to provide excellence in our client care.


See what our customers think of us…

find out more


See staff from this department

find out more


3 hours ago

Michael Lewin Solicitors Ltd

As always, we're delighted to be long-standing partners with the one-and-only Castleford Tigers RLFC.

Fans and Wigan Warriors' foes alike will definitely be tuning in to the Tigers' home match at the Mend-A-Hose Stadium, The Jungle (Wheldon Road) tonight at 19:45!
... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook