WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE A WILL?
There are many people in the UK who haven’t made a Will and they will often have various reasons rightly or wrongly for not making a Will. The reasons are often just excuses and we hope that by reading through the excuses we hear and any misconceptions you may have about making a Will will be cast aside:
REASONS FOR NOT MAKING A WILL
“I don’t need a Will as my Partner will get everything anyway”
- If you are legally married or in a civil partnership then yes your partner will receive everything
- If you are living with your partner, then you will need to make a Will to ensure that your partner receives what you want them to receive.
- Even if you are married it may be beneficial to consider what will happen should you both die at the same time.
“It costs too much to make a Will”
- The average cost to make a Will range from £125-£200+VAT for a single Will and £200-£275 + VAT for mirror Wills. It’s a small price to pay for peace of mind. Once your Will is made you may only ever have to update it a few times during your lifetime.
- Throughout the year there are discounted/free Will schemes where your Will will be made for a small cost or for free in place for a donation being made to charity. This is often the best time to make your Will with a solicitor and support a worthy cause
- AND Michael Lewin Solicitors will store your will safely in our Deed Store Department for free!
“I’m too young to make a Will!”
- You can make a Will as soon as you reach the age of 18 (if you are in the military it can be younger)
- You can then decide who will deal with your affairs when you are no longer here and also care for your children
- The sad fact of life is that accidents and terminal illness can happen to anyone at any time at any age
“I have a complicated family life”
- You definitely need to make a Will in this situation
- You will receive a personalised service specific to your situation with advice on how to achieve the outcome you want in your Will
- By not making a Will this can cause undue stress and devastation after your death
“I have NO time to make a Will”
- Our working life often dictates what we can and cannot do Monday to Friday to deal with our personal matters
- Your local solicitor can speak to you by telephone, arrange an out of hours appointment before or after work, correspond with you by post/email/telephone and even send your Will out to you by post for signing (with full instructions)
- The solicitor will do all the hard work so that you don’t have to!
“I don’t know what to include in my Will”
- Your Solicitor will discuss with you the options available to you based on your personal circumstances and what you want to happen.
- This may include the inclusion of Trusts, Inheritance Tax Advice, funeral planning and guardians for children
“I have nothing to leave in a Will”
- Everyone has personal possessions and therefore has something they will want to leave to someone of their choice!
- If you have children, who will look after them when you are not here
- You can decide who will deal with all practical matters after your death including your funeral arrangements
- Making a Will goes beyond just what you are leaving.
“If I make a Will, I will die”
THIS IS SOOOOOO WRONG
- Of course, one day we will die but it is not hurried along by making a Will
- Once your Will is made you don’t really have to think about it again UNLESS there are some changes in your personal circumstances whereby you need to review your Will
So there really are no reasons for NOT making your Will. By making your Will it will give you and your family peace of mind that your affairs are in order.
YOU decide who to include and exclude from benefiting from your estate after your death.
YOU can even get your Will prepared for free by a solicitor and donate to a worthy cause under one of the charity Free Will months
Even if you have “nothing” to leave you can still prevent any more additional distress for your family at such an emotional time. By making a Will you are making it CLEAR who will deal with all aspects of your estate when you are no longer here!
We at Michael Lewin Solicitors can assist you with any queries or concerns you may have about making a Will. We are happy to meet with you to review your existing Will with you during a free ½ hour meeting. We can discuss any changes which may be needed.
Like our Facebook Page, follow our Twitter account to see when we are participating in any Charity Free Will Months or Charity Discounted Will making months.
WHAT TO DO NEXT:
Meet The Head Of Department
Call 0113 200 9787 to speak to one of our solicitors.