Mrs L from St Helens approached the personal injury experts at Michael Lewin Solicitors for advice regarding a work accident and how she could go about claiming compensation in the UK.

Many accidents involving slips trips and falls in car parks or on roads and pavements are reported every year in the UK. In most cases involving accidents on roads or pavements it is usually the local authority that is responsible. Car parks on the other hand can be owned by a local authority a large organisation eg a supermarket or even privately owned. If you are hurt during an accident in a car park the onus of responsibility is on the person or organisation who owns or who is responsible for the car park.

46 year old Mrs L was injured when she tripped on an uneven surface in a car park at work. She sustained bruising and abrasions during the fall and required medical treatment. An uneven surface is not necessarily visible to walkers so it should either be repaired straight away indicated by a warning sign or blocked off from pedestrians. Otherwise it becomes a serious trip hazard.

It is estimated that the cost to society each year for slips trips and falls in the UK is around £800 million. Health and Safety Executive figures show that slips and trips are the most common cause of major injuries in the work place in Great Britain

Details of Mrs L’s work accident was taken by the personal injury team at Michael Lewin who subsequently accepted her claim for compensation in the UK on a no win no fee basis.

Mrs L’s case represents a typical employer liability accident claim received by Michael Lewin. In another case Mrs T from Leeds instructed Michael Lewin Solicitors when she was injured after she tripped and fell when she stepped into a pot hole in the road. When the case was successfully resolved Mrs L received ?2635.00 in compensation.

Section 16 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 permits Approved Codes of Practice which explains different practises acceptable for different working environments. The Approved Codes of Practice can be used as an indication for the courts as to whether the actions of the employer were safe.

An employer can only escape liability if they can prove that they have exercised reasonable care.

If you have been hurt in a work accident and require support and information relating to compensation claims in the UK call Michael Lewin Solicitors on: 0844 499 9302.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment